Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Profit versus Purpose

"Greed is good" is how Gordon Greco, played by Michael Douglas, in the movie "Wall Street" described his view of capitalism.

In business schools, many courses are devoted to profit maximation.  Taking a loss is a sign of failure (except for tax purposes).

In Daniel H. Pink's book "Drive", he stresses that those who pursue purpose (intrinsic rewards) are prone to be happier, richer, and more fulilled than those who are purely driven by profit (extrinsic rewards).  Some innovative entrepeneurs, like TOM's shoes operate under "One for One. TOMS Shoes was founded on a simple premise: With every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need."  What a dual purpose!

But, what about the rest of us?  What is our purpose for getting up everyday?  We all need to have purpose in our every day lives lest our activities are simply going through the motions.  Then, ruts appear.

I recall when many of us devoted practically every Saturday for a few years ago in building Bethlehem Walk.  Knowing that I had much to do at home and at work, I was able to keep myself going by one thing: the purpose of helping to build Bethlehem village would enable the gospel of salvation to be shared by many throughout the community.  That is what kept me and many others going through long hours of, what was for me, hard labor.  That purpose further kept me and the cast going through sometimes five consecutive nights of being out in the elements until close to midnight. 

I have a dear friend who works daily with the purpose that his efforts may result in employer-provided bonuses that will enable him to help fund the Christian education of those who cannot afford it.  What an altruistic purpose for us to emulate.  His example reminds me to assess my purpose daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment