Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Replacing "but" with "and" by Daniel H. Pink

I just finished Mr. Pink's book entitled "A Whole New Mind".  I commend to you this and his other book "Drive". 

Here are some common lamentations involving "but":

1.  I want to spend more time with my family BUT my job requires me to be out of town often.

2.  I want to read more BUT I just can't seem to find the time.

Here is what happens when we replace "but" with "and":

1.  I want to spend more time with my family AND my job requires me to be out of town often so I need to find ways to take my family with me and combine business trips with family mini-vacations over the weekends instead of heading home dog-tired on Friday evenings.

2.  I want to ready more and I just can't seem to find the time so I joined audible.com, download books, and listen to them during my commute, while at the gym, and while cutting grass and other yard work.

I think that Mr. Pink is on to something.  I am very much looking forward to his next available book "Free Agent Nation" as soon as I finish a few other books in progress. 

By the way, my wife introduced me to audio books back in 1993.  Thanks to technology, a long commute, and trying to make time pass while at the gym, I was able to listen to over 40 audiobooks last year covering history, business, and mystery fiction.  I just wish that audio books had been around when I was in high school and college.

No comments:

Post a Comment