Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Schilling Manor Days - Final Thoughts

My father returned safely from Viet Nam in November, 1968.  I recall my youngest brother, who was only three, did not know who he was for a while.

During the '68 Tet Offensive, the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong almost overran Tan San Knut airbase.  Years later, my father shared how touch and go things really were until the complete security was restored.  As a result of Tet and its lasting impact on us, my mother decided to have family prayer for my father each night.  We offered up the rosary every night after dinner and homework.  To this day, I believe that God honored our prayers for my father's safe return.   

I understand that Schilling Manor eventually closed though the housing units are still in use today. The streets have been renamed and many other things, like our society, have changed. But, one could say that it served an important purpose during a trying time for many military families.   For our family, it was home and we felt safe as we awaited the ultimate and safe return of our father.


We lived in Schilling Manor for approximately 13 months. I know that my mother could quote the specific dates of arrival and departure. Though it was only for a short time, the place, the experiences, the people, the commond bond, and the mere community feeling had a significant impact on me. Like my older brother who has gone back to visit, I would like to return one day and walk those grounds that we called home for that season in our life that brought forth many memories.  If there was such a thing as a time machine, this would be the place and this would be the time in my life to which I would like to return and relive.  After all, this is the place that my brother and I were able to shake the hand of then-Vice President Hubert H. Humphery.  Little did I know at the time that I would eventually vote Republican in most elections.   

A few years ago, my father came across a book about a family which lived in Schiling Manor.  I ordered a copy for the both of us which we did not find very interesting.  Perhaps one day, I will attempt to write such a book about our experiences there but juxtapose them against those of our country and the world.    

4 comments:

  1. Was in Schilling Manor (Phoenix Court) during 1968-1969. I went back once while on the road to college -- the streets had already been renamed but many houses were still empty at that point.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spent 18 months there. Dad came home halfway through his tour in Vietnam. It was his second tour. Mom and dad went to Hawaii halfway through his first tour.

    The housing has been privatized. The yards are fenced in now. If military housing stays empty for long, it becomes uninhabitable. They become toxic waste cleanup sites. That due to historical housing construction practices: asbestos and lead paint. Still, when occupied and maintained, the housing presented no real dangers.

    Dad died of old age illness. He was buried in a VA grave. During the ceremony, an officer hands mom a flag and says "Thank you for his service." Sorry, but each of us served, not just dad. Mom paid a price for her "service." Twenty-four years of military life was enough. Still, mom went to military hospitals and brought it all back to mind after it was long forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when HHH landed at the airport and also got to shake his hand. I returned to Schilling Manor in 1992 while relocating from the East Coast to the West Coast. Everyone is different and while I found it interesting, I wish that I had never gone back. It is much different now and I prefer to remember it as it was in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lived on Richmond at the same time and walked that bridge!

    ReplyDelete