Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Schilling Manor Days - Part 4 (Sundays)

Both Catholics and Protestants worshiped at the same chapel.  I do not recall specifically, but, I believe the Catholics worshiped at 11am though it might have been at an earlier time.  Years later, I now wonder where members of the Jewish faith worshiped, perhaps not on Schilling Manor.

The Catholic services were conducted by an Army Chaplain.  After Sunday Mass, we took a shuttle bus to Catechism class (Sunday School).  Each class was based upon class grade.  Some of my classmates in school were also in this class.  I remember our classroom being in the basement that also served as a bomb shelter or least had the markings and signs for such.   

I recall being confirmed at this Schilling Chapel.  The Chaplain and his staff took care of everything including selecting each confirmee a sponsor/witness.  As there were very few Catholic men on base, the Chapel brought in civilians from the offbase to serve a sponsor/witness.  I did meet my sponsor/witness in advance.  Rather, I turned a got a glimpse of him prior to encountering the Catholic bishop.  He simply smiled and nodded his head.  It was the first and last time I ever saw him. 

At the Schilling Chapel, we were introduced to Catholic Folk music as part of the Sunday worship service.  The musicians had guitars and tambourines and the music was upbeat.  Much to the chagrin of many traditional Catholics, this folk music became popular in the 70's.

I cannot recall any particular sermon that stood out in my mind.  I believe my lack of attention is the main cause for this.  I do recall how the Chaplain did not like the wine he had to drink as part of the Eucharist.  He would grimace when taking an obligatory sip. 

As for Sunday afternoons, I recall getting ready for school by doing homework and writing letters to my father and other family.  My older brother used to get and share a magazine from his catechism class that featured animated histories on the lives of famous Americans such as Dwight Eisenhauer, Charles Goodyear, and others.  Perhaps this fueled my interest in history.  My big brother, who is now a high school teacher, loved teaching me things in those days.  I just wish that I had been a better student.    
Next blog, final thoughts on our Schilling Manor days.

2 comments:

  1. I walked to the chapel. It was on the way to the commissary.

    I remember some emergency preparedness papers. Shilling was a 55% target. I have no idea how current that rating was, but Shilling had a huge runway. It would get blown away just for that.

    It wasn't until I took my son out to Mushroom Rock state park eon's later before I saw the B52's flying drills over what was apparently a range.

    I loved the bookmobile. Salina's public library has a great math section these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schilling was a de-activated SAC base with a runway that could service anything in the Air Force inventory. A B=52 landed there for an air show in 1969. It was also surrounded by de-activated missile silos that held ICBMs with nuclear weapons mounted on them in the late 50's and early 60's. Schilling had the Smokey Hill bombing range that was used from WW2 until the early 60's.

      Delete