Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Post-holiday visit to the malls - some observations

After I was able to find a few good buys at the mall, I settled down into a chair to wait for Lynn and began to watch the other shoppers. Sitting across from me was a young boy begging his mother for a dollar only to be turned down repeatedly. He did not give up but reduced the frequency of his begging.

Then, I caught a very interesting sight. Walking out of the store was a man proudly carrying his new ottoman high for other men to see and covet. It must have very light for he held it shoulder high almost like a trophy and walked with a skip in his step and a proud smile on his face. He must have been contemplating many hours of watching TV with his legs propped up, relaxing, and maybe catching a wink or two while resting his legs on the new ottoman. Yes, here was a proud man who was pleased that he ventured out into the post-holiday mall scene. Behind him, though, walked someone who seemed to be his wife. She wore a scowl on her face and walked as if she was hoping the man would come to his senses and return the ottoman. Perhaps she was contemplating the lost hours away from yard work, home repair and other man chores that would be lost on the ottoman. She may have regretted asking the husband to accompany her to the mall.

Last night, as I was relaxing on my couch and I realized that I do not own an ottoman on which to prop my feet. I thought of the man from the mall and wished I had asked him where he purchased the ottoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment