Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Eastman Kodak

Over the years, I have had a few "Rip Van Winkle" moments.  One in particular was in 2006 when Lynn sent me to CVS to pick up some film.  When I got there, I had trouble finding 35mm film for Lynn's camera.  After about 10 minutes of looking around, I finally asked a clerk who pointed me to small section on shelf which contained just a few rolls of such film. The prominent yellow Kodak box was nowhere to be found.

I remember the years when Kodak and Fuji film boxes lined the photography section at stores.  I recall how Kodak film seemed so expensive particularly those that included development services in the price.  I recall using other Kodak products duirng those days when I dabbled in black & photography development.

Turning back to the CVS experience, I told Lynn that world had turned to digital photography and that we need to get such a camera.  Suddenly, my prized Olympus OM-2 camera seemed like a dinosaur. 

Kodak is another example of a company whose once pre-eminent position in its market is long gone and it is forced to re-engineer itself.   The town of Rochester, too, has had to adapt to the reduced employment opportunities from Kodak.

One can only imagine how things have changed in the City of Detroit and State of Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment