Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

A Tale of Two Cities: New York and Sandy Hook

It was the best of times to visit New York.  It was the worst of times to leave Sandy Hook. 


New York is a great place to visit.  There is so much to do and see: Times Square; Rockefeller Center; Penn Station; Broadway shows; Madison Square Garden, etc.  I can see why people enjoy either visiting or working in New York.  To me, it was fascinating walking the streets back and forth from the conference I was attending.  I believe that I may have walked upon a photo shoot involving Uma Thurman or a look-alike, around 9pm, but could not get a good look given the assembled crowd.  It truly seems to be a city that "never sleeps".

From what I observed in New York, people on the streets rarely say hello or smile at each other. 

Back home in Sandy Hook (Goochland) today, I immediately put the New York state of mind quickly out of my mind and re-matriculated myself back into my preferred lifestyle amid the bucolic quietude of country living.  Though pollen-created allergy issues can be tough on us allergy sufferers in April, it was great being back home.  It was great to have drivers and joggers wave as I encountered them in our neighborhood today.  It was nice to be greeted warmly by former "Church-mates" at a local eating joint. 

Today, I felt like "Oliver Douglas" from "Green Acres" as I cut the grass but not in a suit and tie.  I look forward to our next visit to New York.  But, I know I will be just as glad then as I am now to return home to the quiet and beauty of Goochland, the place we call home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment