Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

A Lesson from 25 Years Ago...

I was in my mid 20's and getting onto the elevator at work.  There was only one other person on the elevator who stood at the back.  He wore a starched white shirt and red dotted tie.  He stood erect, looked fit, must have been in his early 50's.  When the doors shut, he leaned over and stretched out his hand and said "hi, I'm Bill....".  I introduced myself and he asked what I did for the firm.  As the elevator got to Bill's floor and before exiting, he stated "thanks, Ed, for helping to keep up straight.  We appreciate it."

I will never forget that act of being graciousness and making an inexperienced and diffident kid like me feel important in the eyes of  one our firm's partners.

The other day at the coffee machine, I aspied a young associate, recently graduated from Harvard Law, who had a look similar to what Bill must have seen on my face some 25 years earlier.  Taking a lesson from Bill, I reached out my hand, introduced myself, and welcomed this new associate to our firm. 

About 18 years ago, Bill passed away in an auto accident.  However, that lesson he taught me remains and I try to emulate him whenever I get chance.  Regrettably, though, I often get so caught up in my own world that I overlook those around me. 

Tomorrow, my encounter with a once famous political figure on the elevator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment