Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

A Judge for the Ages

He presided over major legal issues of the day including rulings on desegregation, the Viet Nam War, and the Dalkon Shield. To hear his name would conjure up for me the image of man large in nature with a booming voice, and steely disposition. Perhaps this is how lawyers who argued before him felt and perceived the Judge to be.


I would run into the Judge on the elevator often. He usually arrived early around 7:30am. On several days day a week, he would be seen carrying a white pastry box from a local bakery, perhaps the Westhampton. On several occasions, he would ask me if I attended his church, to which I would reply "that must be my twin". Eventually, he would shake his head, rub his forehead, and say "I have asked you that before".  We would both laugh. 

To see the Judge in person, you saw an average looking man who was kind and gentle. This demeanor belied the steel courage and fortitude that enabled him to make the tough rulings despite death threats, attempts to kidnap him, and all the harsh vitriol that was hurled his way.

I recall asking him to be a guest speaker at our monthly managers meeting to which gladly accepted. I recall him sharing how, amid the turmoil and death threats, his wife pleaded with him to resign. His response was that to have resigned would have been caving into injustice, something he swore an oath not to do.

Though he was small in stature as a person, he was huge in the law and in his moral character. I felt honored to have been able to speak with Judge Robert Merhige those few times. He is an inspiration and encouragement to us all.  If I was to ever write a book, similar to "Profiles in Courage", Judge Merhige would be first on the list about whom to write.  He truly was a profile in courage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment