Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Introducing a former governor....

I did not vote for him in the gubernatorial election.  I did not like his views on raising taxes while opposing the state lottery.  I particularly did not like his choosing an opponent of the state lottery to run it.  Truth be known, in those days I was a diehard Republican having voted for Ronald Reagan twice and became a student of conversative politics.  In those days, the Wall Street Journal was required reading for me.

In the mid-90's, our CFO, John, assigned me to work with Governor Baililes to assist him with some intricate billing of his client, a special consortium.  We went to his office where the Governor was reading some official looking papers, suit coat on, and feet propped on his desk.  Upon seeing he, the Governor motioned us and and exclaimed "Big John!"  Upon being introduced to him by "Big John:, I remember him having a firm handshake and reflective manner. 

I worked with the Governor over a period of 12 months, meeting with him just a few times and dealing mostly with his assistant.  Yet, he always called me by my name when I saw him in the firm.  I understand from his assistant that he has a unique ability to remember the first names of most people he met, even once.   In time, I would tell others what a great guy he was.  I recall my dear wife reminding me of my vehement criticisms from earlier years.  I told her that I had changed.

Prior to his leaving the firm, I had invited the Governor to speak at a monthly managers meeting on the topic of leadership.  He agreed without hesitation.  A few days before the meeting, it occurred to me that I had the task of introducing him at the meeting.  I had never introduced anyone of his political stature.  Fortunately, his asisstant bailed me out with a standard script that other organizations used when introducing him as a speaker.   

No comments:

Post a Comment