Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Replace "but" with "and"

Several of my colleagues and I have either read, listened to, or are listening to Daniel H. Pink's "A Whole New Mind".  Though I cannot recall the specific chapter, I remember his lesson: replace "but" with "and" ,  This enables one to develop a different mindset toward problems.  Here are some examples:

1.  I really like to read BUT I do not have time and too tired to do so in the evening WITH
I really like to read AND I have a 45-minute commute to work & from work each day AND I can use that time to listen to audio books

2.  I really would like to spend more time with my family BUT I travel for my job all the time WITH
I really would like to spend more time with my family AND I can bring them along when business requires me to be in one of our favorite vacation spots or places we have not been before

3.  I really would like to cut back on snacks BUT folks at work bring in donuts, cakes, and pies all the time WITH
I really would like to cut back on snacks AND I need to bring in less fatty snacks and fruit to reduce my temptation to indulge in donuts, cakes, and pies.

In short, Mr. Pink prescribes "but out"!

No comments:

Post a Comment