Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Memories from Memorials Days Past - Events

To me growing up, Hopewell was a sleepy little town.  As a pre-teen, there wasn't much to do in Hopewell beyond going to school, playing sandlot football, softball, and basketball after school.  My brother and I used to deliver the Hopewell News before graduating to the big time Richmond Times-Dispatch  (RTD).  By the way, in the early 70's, the Hopewell News was $0.35 per week and RTD was $1.50 every two weeks.

I always looked forward to Memorial Day.  It was the holiday that told us that summer vacation was right around corner. 

I recall once or twice going to Hopewell's City Point National Cemetary earlier in the morning to see individuals (Boy Scouts I think) placing American flags at the base of perfectly-aligned white crosses or Stars of David.  That scene was so peaceful and reverent.

The Memorial Day parade used to conclude at the cemetary.  After which, a speaker, typically an officer from Fort Lee, would make a few appropriate remarks to commemorate the occassion.  I recall one year in which Virginia POW Paul E. Galanti's (click here for more) son spoke at the ceremony  I recall him to be a teenager, perhaps between 16-18.  At the time, his father, who was held prisoner by North Viet Nam for approximately 7 years, was still a POW.  He spoke with confidence and I recall his words about not forgetting our American POW's that Memorial Day; that his story was not "just another sad story" but one being experienced by many throughout the country.

Tomorrow: Hopewell's Memorial Day Parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment